Friday, July 23, 2010

Community Gardens, the saga continues

Some die-hard readers may remember that we applied for a plot in the community gardens almost two years ago. 

Immediately after, I got pregnant, became a doula, moved apartments... and more-or-less forgot all about it.  After Last Child in the Woods, I got all reinspired, and had Frederic call the garden organizer.  It turns out we have moved from, get this, place 35 on the waiting list to place 20.  Since we have children, we have prioritiy, which bumps us up to place 9.  To make a long story short, we're probably still a year or two away from getting a garden, which means it will coincide probably with the kids and I all starting school.  Ack!  Frederic is hopeful that this summer heat will help bump off a few of the old retirees in the gardens, but this is probably just wishful thinking.  :-) 



Our balcony pumpkin, however, is thriving, and so I think next year I'll make a concerted effort with my container garden on the balcony- I'll try some of those hanging tomato thingies. 

In the mean time, I'm still obsessed with vermiculture, but Frederic is still vetoing the red-worms-on-the-balcony scheme.  I keep trying to reassure him that they will be encased in a classy high-rise worm hotel, happily tearing through our kitchen scraps, but he remains unconvinced.  Perhaps he is more concerned that I want to jealously hoard the bags of castings in the basement until such time that I can use them to grow food.  To that, I say, "hmph". 

Seriously though, who wouldn't want 1-2kg of worms added to their household?  Crazy Swiss.  (They are so never going to let me be a citizen if they get wind of my blog...)

2 comments:

Experimental Aviator said...

“bump off a few of the old retirees” interesting choice of words ;)
How about if you tell him the worms are to help add some protein to your diet? After he settles down, tell him no, no, it’s for fishing bait! I don’t see how he could find fault with that logic!

Susie said...

Hahaha, that's the exact phrase that stuck in my head also!!
Whoa cousin, do your summers get so hot that the elderly start "bumpin off?"
Oh yes, Aviator is right. The fishing bait excuse is much better than the kid excuse. Well maybe, I don't know if Frederic fishes. I can visualize your Hotel de la Lumbricus terrestris.
I'm glad you were moved up on the waiting list. Gardening is very rewarding. Good luck.