Tuesday, November 06, 2007

A new coat and a spring idea

"C'mon mom, it's November in Switzerland, not February in Siberia!" (muttered Eliot as I bundled him up in his new coat)

Today, Eliot and I went on an exploratory mission to the community gardens. Now we'd heard whispers that such a thing existed, but last weekend, Frederic and Eliot discovered that they are a 3 minute walk from our house!

Our community rents out garden plots for the year to us poor apartment dwellers, so that we can do all the weeding our hearts desire, without ever being stuck with the pesky chore of hanging up a hammock.
But I mean seriously folks- this looks like so much fun! Imagine Eliot and I heading out in the dawn hours to tend to our vegetable patch, waving goodbye to Frederic as he heads towards the metro stop, then turning down that little garden path:

"Eliot, don't pull up Mr. Lusticrou's carrots"
"Eliot, don't eat that dirt clod"
"Eliot, stop digging around in the compost pile!"
"Eliot, we only pick the tomatoes once they turn red!"I think 18 month olds and gardens are a really good mix. I'm going to find out how to rent a space!

2 comments:

Madame K said...

I cannot get over how BIG Eliot is! My lord, it feels like he was just borned last week!

Cherise said...

He is so big! Already standing and everything! What a cutie patootie!

re: gardens - do it! FIL has a space at the community garden and it's amazing. He spends as much time there as possible, and they have all sorts of friends there. It's fun to see it on a nice weekend, everyone out with families, picnicking. (Of course, we have a huge yard and can't manage to maintain our garden :(