Monday, May 18, 2009

More on cloth diapers.

I always get a lot of questions/comments when I post about cloth diapers, so I thought I'd give some more information and a more complete review. I'm having one of those rare moments where both kids are napping, I napped too, and woke up before the rest.

- Bum Genius 3.0s are velcro closing diapers that fit kids from birth (approx 7-8lbs) through potty training (approx 35lbs). I have the 2.0s for Eliot, but it's the same basic concept. In terms of work, the diapers must be washed and dried (duh), and then the inserts must be stuffed inside. Once this is done, diapering the baby is as easy or easier than using a disposable. After taking it off, you must separate the absorbant interior from the cover before putting in the diaper pail, but you were going to wash your hands anyway, so it's not really a big deal.

I have been extremely happy with these diapers. We also used covers and prefolds when Eliot was really little. They are cheap, super easy to wash, but because putting them on is a bit of a hassle, I can't imagine I would have stuck with it for 2+ years, unlike the BGs.

HOWEVER, the velcro is, as some have pointed out, not going to last for another kid. 2+ years is hard on even the best velcro tabs, and Eliot's diapers are about shot. I don't think I will reuse them on Ivy, as I got 15 new ones for her and this is good for an every other day wash routine at her age, and every 3 days routine at Eliot's age.

If you are an expecting mom, or want to switch to cloth, or are just thinking about cloth for someday (I'm looking at you, Sarah) consider reading the reviews and trying out the Fuzzy Bunz one size diapers. I can't personally recommend them, but the diapers come with a 2 year guarantee, have snaps instead of velcro, and a system for replacing the elastic in the legs/waist at the end of two years for the next kid. I may end up picking a couple up while in the US to give them a try. They come in a larger variety of colors and patterns than the BGs do as well, if that's important to you. Now that I have a little girl, who may someday, somehow, find herself in a dress, a cute diaper becomes slightly more important to me.

Despite the velcro issue, I am not at all disappointed with the BG purchase. I ended up having two kids at diapers simultaneously, and so would have had to buy more diapers anyway, but if you are spacing your kids for the most economical diaper option, or plan to have more than 2 kids,, the fuzzy bunz may be a good idea.

Oh yeah, until about 18 months, Eliot wore a BG at night with an extra insert in it. Now, he wears a disposable at night because he was waking up with leaks too often in cloth (he tends to sleep for 12 hours straight at night).

4 comments:

Cherise said...

We still mostly use prefolds+wraps, but I bought one BG to try out. After about 3 washes, it appears to no longer be absorbent. The urine balls up and doesn't soak into the diaper, causing leaks. I wonder if I just had bad luck with the one? I do have some AIOs that I made which work fairly well, although they're getting too small now. I agree the AIO-type is much easier. We're hoping potty training will be complete very soon.

Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com said...

Ooh, we just bought a couple of the FB one-sizes and the BGs to hold onto until the baby arrives. I never thought I'd be so excited about diapers, but OH MY GOODNESS, THEY ARE SO CUTE AND I AM SO THRILLED.

I can't believe how long your son sleeps at night! Do the disposables irritate his skin any more than the cloth diapers do when they're on for such a long time?

Anonymous said...

Monica's mom here...imagine my surprise at reading that Monica, my very own daughter, who as a little girl was a rejecter of dresses and all things feminine, casually mentions that Ivy might just might need to have "a cute diaper!" Fortunately, I have a very strong heart because the shock that Monica is considering a dress for her beautiful little little Ivy is almost too much!

Smooch the urchins for me, love you!

John said...

I feel so popular that I was mentioned in your blog!