Because I more or less moved in to Frederic's already established apartment, I inherited a few strange culinary devices. This is particularly mysterious, since the only foods Frederic can prepare are protein shakes, scrambled eggs, and pork chops with mustard. Anyway, among the random devices was a never-used pressure cooker. Having never seen a pressure cooker before, the thing continued to go unused even when I, master chef, moved in. Four years and one move later, it is still with us, taking up valuable cupboard space.
Today, I reorganized the kitchen cupboards and saw the thing staring at me. I called my friend Dena, who refused to take it off my hands, and so I decided to throw it out.
But first, a quick check for the owner's manual. Strangely enough, it was in our cleaning cabinet in the file folder marked "Owner's Manuals", and even had a section in English!
After a quick look-see to figure out how not to kill myself through explosions or scalding, I peeled off the price tag, washed it, filled it with water... and 5 minutes later I had hard boiled eggs. Yep, 5.
So I tihink I'll keep it and it will be my new best friend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
I am a huge fan of the pressure cooker. Huge. I use ours all the time and have some great recipes if you're interested. By the way, where did you get the cute 'plate' set for Eliot? The one with all the neat compartments?
Yes please send me recipes! toptyger at hot mail
The lunchbox is called a laptop lunch box and the website is www.laptoplunches.com. They are a little pricey, but very cool. :-) I love it and use it every time he's out for a meal. It makes it easy to organize a main dish, veggie, fruit, and snack. I also have one for my husband's lunch.
Also, there is a cool blog called veganlunchbox.blogspot.com. You should check out her archives. I'm not a vegan, but she has some great meatless ideas and the pictures are very inspiring.
my dad swears by the pressure cooker (at this point he actually has two so he can prepare whole meals in them), i have to ask him what the book is he uses but he makes so many yummy vegetarian meals (soups, stews, bean dishes, etc) with them.
Yeah definitely ask him for the name of the book!
Oh, eggs barely scratch the surface of the power of a pressure cooker... potatoes, beets and any dried lentil or bean (dahl!!) are my favorites!!
Artichokes are good pressure-cooker food, too. Although they come out a bit better with steaming, they are done a million times faster in the pc.
The pressure cooker was my grandma's specialty. (Go figure, since my grandpa's still waiting for that hamburger you owe him!) I can remember being at her house for dinner when I was younger and having her yell at Chad and me, "Stop running in the kitchen, you'll blow the lid off the pressure cooker!" To this day, I'm petrified of them. So good luck!
Post a Comment