Thursday, October 21, 2010

Pre-School Goals

We are going to go with a trimester approach, although I don't think this will really apply perfectly, as for the lower grades, I think stopping completely during summer or other holidays will just confuse my darling children. 

Fall Term:


Finish Teach your child to read in 100 Easy Lessons (mid December)
Zoo phonics games
1 good quality picture book or story in English per day, read aloud, including finishing Beatrix Potter
1 French story book per day, along with French pre-reading skills (Frederic)
1 page of poems from A Child’s Book of Poems read aloud at the breakfast table
1 Let’s Read and Find Out science book every 2 weeks, seasonally appropriate, preferably read outdoors (6 total)
Practice counting and recognizing numbers  1-50.
Finish Mozart appreciation, begin Christmas classics music appreciation
Drawing
Nature Study
Good Habits routine: Meal manners, after-meal helping, going out and coming in routine, greetings and goodbyes


Winter Term:
1 chapter or book from Frog and Toad or Henry and Mudge readers, read and narrated by Eliot per day
Zoophonics games
1 good quality picture book or story in English per day, read aloud
1 French story book per day (Frederic)
Jolly Phonique French phonics program, one lesson per day (Monica and Frederic)
1 page of poems from A Child’s Book of Poems read aloud at the breakfast table
1 Let’s Read and Find Out science book every 2 weeks, seasonally appropriate, preferably read outdoors (6 total)
Practice counting and recognizing numbers  1-50.
Begin addition with counters
Tchaikovsky appreciation, Medieval music appreciation
Nature study
oil crayons
Good Habits routine: Help with meal or table prep, room clean-up

 Spring Term: 

1 chapter or book from early readers, read and narrated by Eliot per day
Zoophonics games
Start handwriting skills
1 good quality picture book or story in English per day, read aloud
1 French story book per day (Frederic)
Jolly Phonique French phonics program, one lesson per day (Monica and Frederic)
1 page of poems from A Child’s Book of Poems read aloud at the breakfast table
1 Let’s Read and Find Out science book every 2 weeks, seasonally appropriate, preferably read outdoors (6 total)
Practice counting and recognizing numbers  1-100.
Addition with counters and symbols
Bach appreciation, ? music appreciation
Nature study (inc. flower collection project with field guide)
watercolors
Good Habits routine: Helping with one household chore


* Narration at story time is encouraging Eliot to "tell back" the story he just read or heard, to improve comprehension skills and/or listening skills, and is a CM method for evaluating knowledge acquisition.

So that's the rough idea.  I see now that a few things are left out- social skills, and other blah-blah-blah stuff that should come naturally from a well-rounded life.  So let's just assume that I'm thinking of those ideas too.

4 comments:

Beth said...

This is awesome! I might use some of these ideas! Thanks Monica!

Twinkly Clare said...

We don't tend to stop for holidays either, mainly so there's less pressure on doing stuff during 'term time' and so it seems less school-like.

We've been listening to the Beethoven story cd which is great, and I'd completely forgotten that I have a book called Why Beethoven Threw the Stew by Steven Isserlis which will go nicely. (and includes stories about other composers too).

I like the idea of studying medieval music etc. I love the sounds that were made so simply.

Monica said...

Hi Clare,

I love doing music study because it's not "study". I just play the music in the background while we are eating or coloring or playing, and mention that it's Mozart (or whatever) Very low key. I'd like to get some good child-level biographies of the composers as well, to add to our story-time collection.

Rachel said...

Wow! I am learning and borrowing a lot from you! I love these posts! Well, I love all of them but thank you very much for sharing these!