Thursday, September 23, 2010

Close enough to perfect for me

We're taking Eliot out of preschool.  And assuming I can keep strong-arming Frederic, he won't be going to kindergarten next year, either (I love you Sweetie! ;-) ).  I know a lot of people might be in disagreement with homeschooling, so I'd like to just state that I don't believe homeschooling is for every child/parent out there.  But I do believe it is the right choice for our children, at the very least during their early childhood.

We have been dealing with mounting frustration at Eliot's preschool, where he has been spending two hours a day, twice a week, for about a year.  It is at the point where I am getting pulled aside after almost every pick-up for some "issue".
"He never talks."
"We think he doesn't understand French."
"He didn't participate today."
"He doesn't jump like the other kids jump."  (Yeah, really.)

The truth is, Eliot understands French fine, and speaks it perfectly with his daddy and tonton (uncle), as well as friends at the playground.  He just never opens his mouth at school.  After a full year, he has shown no affection for his two teachers.  As far as I'm concerned, this is a problem with them, not Eliot.  He is incredibly shy, but he is a naturally loving and affectionate child when given the chance.

Yes, he does occasionally jump one foot after another, rather than with both simultaneously.  After being nagged by the preschool teacher for a month, I finally took him to the pediatrician, who looked at me like I was crazy and told me he was just fine.  Something I knew all along.

Here's what I've finally concluded:  No one knows our child better than Frederic and I.  No one loves him more than Frederic and I.  No mass-education system can give him a chance to truly meet his personal potential for creativity and intelligence.

At Eliot's current stage of development, he is not capable or willing to conform to classroom activity.  This is not a judgement of value of either Eliot or the classroom setting, just a statement of fact.  For him to go is not useful to him or anyone else for that matter.  And forcing him to comply is, as far as I'm concerned, going to be ultimately damaging to his spirit.  Ignoring him in the class because he is quiet and well-behaved is also a complete waste of his time.

I have asked Eliot several times, in several different ways over the last week if he would like to go to school or stay home.  I've tried to pose the question in a neutral way, sometimes highlighting the nice things about school, sometimes highlighting the nice things about home.  Every.Single.Time. he has responded that he wants to be home.    

He is our child.  We will now be taking full responsibility for his education and development, whatever that journey might entail.

Wish us luck!  

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right, no one knows another's child as well as the parent. Smooch the kids, love you!

Anonymous said...

You have very valid points, and from my child development days Eliot does not display anything that would concern me as a preschool teacher.I have always thought that Eliot is beyound other children his age and is very creative and very intelligent. If the public shcool is going to damage that then he needs to be home. You and Frederic have done such a terrific job with Eliot and Ivy I think you are much better teachers for them. This is just my opinion such as it is.

Love Ya
Deb

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

Can you see me standing here and applauding you??

Lisa said...

Best of luck! My 2 1/2 year old daughter attends a Catholic Mother's Day Out program, which she adores, but I pulled her out of one last year that I was concerned about. On my blog I've been doing a homeschooling discernment series-- I'd LOVE to hear your thoughts after a few weeks of trying it out! I am planning to homeschool, but we'll see what's best for the kids. Again, wishing you lots of fun and luck!

Anonymous said...

Excellent choix !!
Tonton John

Beth said...

I'm so excited for you guys!!!!