Thursday, March 18, 2010

Absence makes the heart grow fonder

I disagree with this old adage.


Frederic returned to Switzerland early yesterday morning. We will spend another 2.5 weeks in California before returning home. At 4am, I woke up to Frederic gently kissing me on the cheek, wanting to say goodbye, but not quite willing to wake me up for it. We hugged, but did not quite manage to let go until being late for the flight began to be a real possibility. And then we hugged for a little bit longer. And then we whispered goodbye, and I love you, and then we went through the whole process another few times. And then he left for the airport.

It isn’t absence, but the bittersweet goodbye that precedes it, that makes the heart grow fonder.

3 comments:

Ali said...

Aww, that was a sweet post. But wasn't he supposed to take me with him?

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is very sweet, and thank you again so much for it, honey, I did read it several times already. And Ali, obviously you know that you will be very welcome here if by chance you were willing to spend some vacation time around here. But remember what I told you about the snow storms: no boogie boogie before spring time in Switzerland (ain't that funny, sweetie (my one and only sweetie, I mean)... Don't worry folks, this last sentence is not understandable by lay people, it's just between Monica and me, among our secrets...
Frederic

John said...

Ug, aint that the truth! I tell you, i remember ever single time I've had to say goodbye to John like it was yesterday. Unfortunately its far too many times to even count, but I can recall every feeling and emotion I experienced at the time. its the goodbyes that make the difference for sure.
-Sarah