Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Black like... me?

There is a lot I could say about my son and my sister-in-law Hafsa. But for this story, you only need to know two things:


1.  Eliot is in a phase where he loves comparing things that are alike and different, especially colors.

2.  My sister-in-law is black.

I'll bet you can already see where this is going...

At dinner with my family, Eliot picked up an olive from his plate. Suddenly he exclaimed, "Hey! (points straight at Hafsa) That's funny! My olive is black, just like her....................shirt!"

The dotdotdots above represent a long pause where he was searching for the word shirt, but Hafsa and I both thought he had simply ended the sentence: "My olive is black like her", causing us both to fall into hysterics, laughing so hard we almost didn't hear the innocent "shirt" at the end.

Indeed, she was wearing a black sweater.

1 comment:

Ali said...

I love the crazy things kids say - even if they're not crazy and we just think they are!