Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Great article on baby sleep

Here it is, from the Peaceful Parenting blog.

As I've said on here before, I am picking and choosing certain elements from the attachment parenting style which fit with our family. I have become frustrated lately with Ivy "still" waking 3 times a night to nurse or be held.

I find myself wondering WHEN WILL SHE EVER SLEEP THROUGH THE NIGHT? (Do I need to let her cry it out so that she learns to sleep?)

But I am asking myself the wrong questions.

The right questions are: Is Ivy well-rested in the morning? And am I, mommy, well-rested enough to be a good and patient parent to both my kids during the day?

The answer to both is YES. And so, we will, as advised by the above post, Carry On.

And I'll admit it. When I feel well-rested, I actually enjoy these night wakings. They are often the only one-on-one time I get with Ivy.

2 comments:

Cherise said...

Nice article. I didn't get to that point of "Why is she STILL waking at night" until she was about 20 months and I was getting tired of the night nursing. Then we slowly weaned.

She still doesn't always sleep through the night, but neither do I. Whether or not she's well rested seems to have more to do with what time she went to sleep than how often she awoke. I've also learned that going to her immediately when she wakes, she falls back to sleep within seconds. If I wait, then she gets more agitated and it's worse. Sleep training people berate me for it (so I try not to complain about the lack of sleep), insisting I need to let her scream. But oh well.

As long as what you're doing is working for Ivy and for you, that's what makes a happy child and a happy maman!

Ali said...

My kids have been sleeping through the night for years now. Am I a patient parent during the day? Umm, do I have to answer that??