Sunday, November 09, 2008

Basel Harvest Festival

Yesterday, Frederic, Eliot, Jacqueline, and I made our way to Basel where we were hosted by Malou and Rolf for the annual Basel Harvest Festival. The day started off great, with pumpkin soup, Swiss cheese, and homemade cake.We loaded Eliot into the backpack, and headed off! Highlights of the day included Eliot's first carousel ride, chocolate coated spice bread, a giant duck balloon, corn on the cob on a stick, and Swiss sausages.We didn't manage to get through the fair without spending money. I will take about 90% of the blame for this. Sure, I spotted the items and bought them, but it was Frederic's idea to go to the ATM beforehand. :-) Sticking with a bird theme, we got these two small metal sculptures. The larger bird stands maybe 9 inches high. Also found were these 6 small bowls. The bowls were originally spotted as a Christmas gift for my mom (who shares my (fabulous) good taste), but when Frederic "ooohed" and "aaahed" over them as well, I decided they should stay in our house. Sorry mom! I am hoping to acquire some similar salad plates and serving bowls from the Williams-Sonoma Provencal collection on my next trip home

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Carousel, with no rockets? Are you sure you were in Switzerland?

Ali said...

Awesome two story carousel. The older I get the more I can't go on them, though. Took the kids on the one at Arden Fair and got so dizzy!

Monica said...

Ha ha Haf. Unfortunately, the items in question are a little exorbitantly prices for Chrstimas presents! :-)

Anonymous said...

Eliot has changed so much! Adorable!
Leta