Monday, April 02, 2007

A word about tummy time


Because tummy sleeping has been linked to SIDS, parents are now strongly encouraged to place babies on their backs to sleep. However, because of this, babies spend less time working on lifting their head up, turning, rolling, etc. So babies are supposed to have a little "tummy time" every day to work their neck and back muscles.

A baby's head accounts for about one-third of it's total weight. To put into perspective how tough a workout tummy time can be, let's think of this on an adult scale. Imagine I weigh 120 pounds (I'm not saying I do, I'm just saying imagine I do...). If I were a baby, my head would weigh 40 pounds! That's a lot of weight to hold up on the end of a skinny neck!

Eliot always sticks his tongue out when he lifts his head up. It helps with concentration- just watch a basketball player shooting free throws sometime.

No comments: