Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Helpful Advice: Things You Shouldn't Say to a Pregnant Woman

1. "I don't think you know how bad labor really is. It'll be terrible!" (from a MAN nonetheless!) The majority of labors and deliveries around the world are non medicated, straightforward vaginal deliveries. Let me be an optimist and assume I'll fall in this category!

2. "Enjoy it (sleep, relaxing, etc.) while you can, because it's all about to change!" No, really? I had no idea babies changed people's lives.

3. "You'll never sleep again." So what? I'm not sleeping particularly well now, with a 22 pound boulder sitting on top of my internal organs...

4. "Aren't you worried about XYZ complication? My friend had it and almost died!" Huh? How comforting!

These are all things that have been said to me. Now, here's some examples of nice things that have been said to me:

"Raising children is the most fulfilling job in the world"
"Pregnant women are the most beautiful women in the world"
"You don't look like your nine months along!"

I hope this has cleared up any confusion on the subject of what to say and what not to say to pregnant women.

5 comments:

Jul said...

Haven't you heard how babies can ruin your life?

Oh, wait, what I meant to say was "you look pretty." HTH.

Riana Lagarde said...

What a bunch of crappy things to say to you!!!

Our bodies know how to do this, they have been doing it for thousands of years, naturally and beautifully. Pregnant bellies are gorgeous!

My FIL told me that he was jealous that I could carry a baby and give life like this. That was one the nicest things he has ever said to me.

Happy wonderful days ahead for you!!

Anonymous said...

oh pish posh don't listen to any of those things. Knowing you you won't haha. We're on standby as soon as you go into labor.

-Hafsi

Anonymous said...

ne t'en fais pas Monica, les gens manquent souvent de tact! Je me
rapelle du jour où une opération urgence du dos me faisait entrer à l'hõpital, deux petits enfants à la maison. "Comment, tu te laisse opérer? N'as-tu pas peur de sortir en fauteuil roulant ???
Je connais une personne, qui ...."
Blablabla!
Donc, chère Monica, je te souhaite une très bonne semaine et beaucoup de joie avec tout qui va se passer ces prochains jours et qui sera le début d'une vie magnifique, car vraiment, avoir un enfant c'est "THE GREATEST"
Je t'embrasse
ta tante Malou

Cherise said...

LOL. Yup. Heard all that and wanted to scream SHUT UP! But instead i just complained elsewhere :)

Motherhood is the most amazing experience in the world. And the hardest (at times). But oh so worth it.