Monday, November 06, 2006

On Knitting...

During the week my mom was here, she taught me three new skills: casting on, knitting, and binding off! Conceretely, this means I should now be able to make a scarf!

I also bought a great book called (excuse my French) Stitch'n'Bitch, from which I have mastered the skill of making stripes in said scarf.

I've discovered several interesting things about knitting:
It is NOT as hard as it looks!
It IS just as tedious and boring as it looks!
When you feel like commiting suicide with a knitting needle, try putting in a stripe. The new color may be just enough to save your sanity.

I mean, let's try to look at this in a positive light: Why on earth would anyone want to go to the store and buy a $20 knit wool scarf when they could simply trek to the one yarn store in the city, spend $65 on yarn plus the correct guage needle, then go home and spend 30-40 hours knitting a nice handmade scarf with charming little flaws? Obviously it makes sense to learn to knit!

Here is a picture of my first ever knitting project. It will eventually beome a scarf... like in a year or two. My mom suggested I try making a couple more scarves for the practice, but I think after 25 stitches per row across and approximately 326 rows, I'll be an expert.
After the scarf, I'll be moving on to baby items. Scarves are the sort of thing people accidentally leave on the metro... baby hats and blankets are the sort of things that people save for 20 years for the next generation. If I'm going to spend 3 months of my life making a 3'x4' blanket, it sure better become a family heirloom!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi
Your blog is perfect. I loved every picture and every word of it. Yeah: I've already read all. Your sense of humour (humor?) is great.
Go on doing that good job.
Love
angi