Sunday, November 05, 2006

My subconscious says "girl"

Insert dream sequence

I gave birth and a few hours later, Frederic and I went home with the baby. We were so excited, we didn’t even ask if it was a boy or girl, and it was all swaddled up, so we didn’t see. In the car, we had a momentary issue, because the baby couldn’t be buckled into the car seat while swaddled. Luckily I had the baby’s entire wardrobe with me, and I put it into its little orange lion pyjamas and we headed home. At home, the baby nursed with no problems, and went right to sleep, smiling. In the middle of the night I realized we still didn’t know if it was a boy or girl, but I didn’t want to wake the baby to check. I waited until the baby started making little noises (it never cried once!) and so I went to feed it. That’s when I figured out it must be a girl- I took off my shirt (my rock-n-roll marathon long sleeve t-shirt) and the baby instantly opened its mouth wide to nurse, even though it was still lying in the crib. I figured only a girl baby could be that smart (dream logic…lol)! Finally I called Frederic in for the diaper change to show him it really was a girl, and we decided on a name. The baby was smiling and laughing, and possibly even talking already, and seemed totally happy even though on the first try, I somehow got her knee stuck inside the diaper and had only her little foot and ankle sticking out of the leg hole. Oops.

This can go down in history as the best pregnancy dream ever. However, I don't think it actually means we're having a girl. I think it means that really, we just want a baby- one or the other, doesn't matter!

The belly appraising jury of Switerzland is still undecided. I have a 50 /50 shot of any particular person telling me they think it's a boy or girl.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Monica!! Good to hear from you. I love your blog.... that's a great idea to keep the rest of the world in touch with your life. Good to see the baby and you are growing. I love the nursery. Cute theme and color-scheme. Simple but colorful.
I hope you had fun with your Mom. I'll hear all about it very soon.
Stay healthy and sassy. Say Hi to Frederic for me, too.
--Karen

Anonymous said...

Too funny!

Cherise said...

LOL! Great dream! Especially the part about the baby not crying.