Thursday, November 16, 2006

75% Done!

Today I am 30 weeks pregnant! For the math wizards in the crowd, you'll see that 30/40 really is 75%. Sorry for the blurry picture- the flash didn't work for some reason. Maybe I'll do another tomorrow...

According to about.com's pregnancy calendar, the baby can now change the dilation of its eyes according to light. It's skin is pinker now instead of red, since fat is being deposited under the skin in preparation for the Swiss winter. He or she weighs approximately 1.5kg/3.3lbs.

I'd love to tell you what I've gained, but our home scale is a bit off from the doctor's scale, and claims I haven't gained anything more in the last few weeks. So you will all just have to wait until my next doctor's appointment, first week of December, for the update. Yesterday I was bored and measured my circumference- 91cm/36in! I will admit that I eat 2 lunches a day instead of one because I've been so hungry lately. Today I'm thinking turkey nuggets with oven fries and an apple, followed by a chicken&ketchup sandwich on garlic bread and a clementine. Dinner will be pasta with broccoli, after our birth class. I know what you're thinking... but no, I ate chicken and ketchup sandwiches on garlic bread WAY before this whole pregnancy thing started- it's not just a weird craving! In retrospect, perhaps I should skip the garlic considering I'll be doing my heee-heee-heee-whooo breathing under the watchful eye (and nose) of the midwife this evening.

Speaking of birth class... At our last birth class, we went on a tour of the labor and delivery rooms. Very enlightening. In addition to the traditional bed, there is a birthing tub, a birthing ball, birthing chairs, and even a birthing rope hanging down from the ceiling (?). At one point, the midwife whipped out the needle and catheter for an epidural; I turned rather green and one of the future dads literally ran from the room (and didn't come back!) We discussed things like tearing and episiotomies (if you don't know what this means, do NOT try to educate yourself. It's not worth the trauma), in addition to c-section procedures should one become necessary. They also went over the check-in procedure and when to come to the hospital. The basic rule of thumb is to get to the hospital BEFORE your husband's chanting, "Just breathe, honey! HeeHeeWhoo" forces you to react violently. After all, he needs to be well enough to drive!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew it wasn't a weird pregnancy craving because after all you are Monica.

Jessica Brogan said...

Are you discovering anything surprising about being pregnant here in CH?

Anonymous said...

Well... I've never been pg in the US, so it's hard to say! I think people here are definitely more relaxed re: wine, soft cheese, and all the other "rules" the expectant mother is supposed to follow. Otherwise though, things seem very much the same. The hospital I will deliver at is big on natural births, water births, alternate positions, which is nice- not sure how different that would be from the standard US experience.

Anonymous said...

You look a lot like one of your aunts, looked like at that age and "condition"