This is actually more a list of rescources than a day-to-day curriculum. I think that what is covered in a day or week or trimester will vary greatly, so I'll leave it open for now.
Also, I think I have an advantage because I LOVE math and science so much. Many people are daunted by these subjects. I, on the other hand, cannot WAIT to get into these materials and teach (and relearn) such fascinating stuff, from a new perspective (natural history).
Nature Study:
The Handbook of Nature Study
One Small Square series
Let's Read and Find Out series
Burgess Bird Book for Children
Various field guides for our region
Learning to identify plants (emphasized) and animals
Keeping a nature journal, as per Charlotte Mason's methods
Vocabulary of plant and animal parts, plant and animal life-cycles
Science:
Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding
Simple machines experiments, and any others that come up and are appropriate
Science in Ancient Greece
Archimedes and the Door of Science
The Librarian who measured the Earth
Science in Ancient Rome
Galen and the Gateway to Medecine
Blood and Guts (maybe, I'm not thrilled with this one, but will use it as a place holder until I find a human body book or medical history book for kids that I like better)
The Body Book
Something on nutrition
Inventing the Future
I expect this general curriculum outline to be sufficient material for pre-k through 3rd-4th grade or so.
There is a lot of flexibility here. Many of these books are to be read like stories. Some of them have very involved projects and experiments. Some are actual science "lessons" to be taught in a more traditional format. Hopefully this will appeal to many learning styles and intelligences, until we figure out how Eliot and Ivy learn best.
Things that will NOT be in our curriculum:
Random and disconnected science experiments. (Unless, of course, we are on our third straight week of rain or snow.)
Saturday, October 30, 2010
Rough Draft Science Curriculum: pre-k - 3rd/4th grade
Labels:
CM,
curriculum,
homeschooling,
pre-school,
resources,
science curriculum
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Oh my. I feel so far behind now ;)
Post a Comment