Friday, October 08, 2010

Ivy's heart

Ivy had her cardiologist appointment today.  The big news:  she's just fine.  If you aren't sitting next to me, you probably didn't hear that huge sigh of relief that I just let out.  Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.  I didn't even realize I was holding my breath. 

Ivy was great and laid perfectly still through the whole ultrasound, which lasted about 45 minutes.  If I had known it only takes an ultrasound machine to make her lay still, I would have invested in one a year ago.  Ivy's heart murmur is called an "innocent murmur", and will very likely just one day disappear, though about 3% of adults still have an innocent murmur for their whole lives, with no ill effects.

She also has some other valve-thing open, can't remember the name, which the doc says is open in about 30% of adults, and also causes no problems.  We'll check back after she turns 3, as apparently if it's still open at 3, it stays open for life.  The only negative effect of this hole is that is doubles her risk of dying while scuba diving.  So we won't take her scuba diving before she's 3 and has had her follow up appointment. 

PHEW.  I never really considered the idea that the results would be anything different than an innoecent murmur, until last night.  Last night I spent half the night awake, thinking about all the worst-case scenarios, followed by a very strange dream where Eliot was a cross between Harry Potter and Jesus Christ.  Seriously though, no more CS Lewis before bed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know anything was up but I'm glad it turned out to be something mild. At least for Ivy.

You on the other hand might want to see a srhink with dreams like that. :D

-J

Anonymous said...

Great news, I am glad all is fine. I am with J, you may need some help with your dreams! Smooch the kids, love you!

Anonymous said...

We are so glad our little Ivy is ok. Those worse case scerios can make a person crazy. Hopefully tonight you will sleep soundly knowing all is well. We love you.

Pa and Deb

Unknown said...

So glad everything is okay!

Anonymous said...

Voici une nouvelle rassurante. En effet, un petit souffle au coeur n'est rien de grave et Ivy pourra se donner à coeur joie à tous les sports qu'elle désirera.
Normal que tu n'aies pas bien dormi la nuit précédente. Maintenant que tu sais qu'il ne s'agit de rien de grave, tu pourras "sombrer" dans un profond sommeil réparateur la nuit prochaine. Et rêver de ton adorable princesse en toute tranquillité, la voyant faire du saut à cheval, du triathlon, du tennis et n'importe quelle autre activité physique.
Gros bisous à la courageuse Ivy qui est restée tranquille pendant toute la durée l'écho-Doppler.
Et bonne nuit à sa maman.
Flo

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

Praise God!!!