The Sun, by Eliot
Art. Definitely something that should be in our homeschool curriculum. I'm going to put art in a sperate category from "crafts", which to me just seem like busy work. (I fully admit that I might be wrong on that) The main problem with art is that I know nothing about it, I'm not very "good" at it, and I never much liked it in school.
Luckily, the first problem is easily overcome with youtube videos, websites, and books.
The second problem I've discovered is probably of no importance to my ability to create an art-friendly home environment, and the third problem is just one aspect of the whole reason why we took Eliot out of the System in the first place- we don't like how and when things are taught, because often times schools take all the fun out of things!
Here is a craft, and something I'm going to do my best to avoid: "Eliot, I've pre-cut out these legs and arms, and printed out this skeleton page for you to color. After you've colored them, I'll help you cut them out, and you can glue on googly eyes and we'll put it up for Halloween." Now honestly, I think kid's get a lot of satisfaction out of making something that looks more-or-less like it's "supposed to". But, I don't think any skills have been transferred at all. It is busy work. And, sometimes, when I'm cooking dinner and the kids are busy dismantling nuclear weapons in the living room, I could really go for a little busy work. But alas, I've come to grips with parenting not being the most convenient thing ever.
Eliot has now been drawing with markers for about a year and a half or so. During this time, I have seen very little appreciable progress. He scribbles. Originally, he scribbled with just one color, and it was more like making haphazard lines on the paper, now he scribbles with many colors and great gusto. But it is still just scribbling.
Meanwhile, children not much older than him on the playground are drawing butterflies, and faces, and dogs with chalk on the ground. This was making me very, very nervous.
So I began to wonder. Do I need to show Eliot how to draw some basic things, like a circle for a body, and lines for legs and arms, and another circle for a head? Is this a learned skill? And I wrung my hands, and pondered this, and basically wasted a lot of energy and time better spent sleeping, wondering if Eliot was in need of help learning to draw.
And then, a few weeks ago, out on the playground with chalk, he drew a capital letter E, and then showed it to me. It wasn't great, but it was clearly recognizable as an E.
And then, two days ago, he drew the sun. He drew a circle (ok, more of a smushed egg shape, but still, a closed form), and then began to fill it in (admittedly, not staying in the lines) with various colors. He then told me, "This is a picture of the sun."
I gotta say, it's just about the best sun I've ever seen. He taught himself to draw a closed form, and to color it in. This kid has never had a coloring book, and I've never uttered the words, "Stay inside the lines!"
And now that I know that drawing is a skill the progresses naturally, just like learning to walk, I hope to never catch myself saying those words.
So art at our house will consist of me showing a basic technique, whatever we happen to be working on (watercolors will probably be our focus for this "semester") and him doing whatever he feels like after that.


9 comments:
Neat. (:
My sense is that what "craft" should really mean is Making Something Useful. I do think there is value (both for skill development and for personal meaning) in having opportunities to mold a cup you really drink out of, or build a shelf you really keep your toys on, or even make a bracelet you really give to a friend... though I agree with you that what we make is best when we make it from scratch and all by ourselves.
I'd love to know who you are anonymous, because that was an AWESOME comment!
Yes, if the craft is actually craft in the original sense of the word, then I'm all for it.
Actually, I'm about 98% sure you share your initials with a large city in Southern California. Am I right?
Crafts do build eye hand coordination and fine motor skills but those skills can also be developed other ways, not just in crafts.
Love Ya
Deb
I'm thinking he is an advanced scientist and artist. He didn't scribble outside the lines, he acurately portrayed the volatile nature of the sun, solar flares and all. :D
-J
I'm all for crafts that have 1. a specific developmental purpose or 2. a specific social/emotional meaning. That being said, i don't believe they have to look like one another or a wonderful end product, but do see the fine motor benefits of such things.
I'm not an art teacher, but I'm kind of torn. In early childhood, I see the benefits of exploring all mediums and allowing children to develop skills at their own pace. But on the other hand, Montessori and my father (who IS an art teacher- and very creative at that) would agree that teaching various techniques early on would help children to be able to express themselves through art more easily.
It seems like you've got a good plan though. I can't wait to see how this progresses!
Yep, Monica, the first anonymous was who you figured. (:
I don't mind too much craft that seems pointless, because I think that otherwise M doesn't have too much more opportunity to develop eg his scissor use.
I am an advocate of free art. I believe that a child should never be told "its meant to be X colour" or "a tree doesn't really look like that", but obviously if the interest is there, a helping hand is more than okay. We have a couple of Draw, Write Now books for this purpose (and also for the times that I have wobbles!)
I hate going down the gender route, but ime girls seemed to master drawing/colouring (or at least doing recognisable stuff) much sooner than boys. I don't know if this is because they have more of an eye for it, or if they are just more exposed to it (almost a self fulfilling prophecy, as people expect girls to enjoy it, and so offer it more).
M appears to be way behind his friends with putting his pictures onto paper. Its only recently that his pictures are recognisable for what he says they are, but it doesn't bother me too much as he can describe what he has drawn so well.
Also, don't forget that if a kid gets satisfaction out of doing something, then in a way a skill has been transferred. That of doing something purely for the pleasure of it. After all, we don't have to 'learn' something from every single thing we do.
Oh, and just because I haven't written enough ;) M once had an argument with another kid about colouring within the lines. The other child was adamant that you MUST keep within the lines; M was just as adamant that it didn't really matter.
That's my boy ! ;)
Post a Comment