Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Analysis Paralysis 4: Traditional schooling/ pre-packaged curriculum

First off, as much as I dislike traditional schooling for us, I think using a traditional homeschool approach in some families might work just fine.  It would be a good option for someone who does not have an objection to public school curriculum and methods, but who does have a problem with the environment (bullies, religious conflict, special needs child, etc).  Using a pre-packaged curriculum would also be useful for a parent who is very nervous about homeschooling, but feels s/he must homeschool for one of the reasons listed above, or any number of others, including someone who lives too far from a school, or whose children participate in work, for example on a family farm, and cannot spend their whole day at the library, or doing science experiments they've dreamed up.

Now that I've gotten that covered, I can say again that a pre-packaged curriculum is not for us.  Separate subjects is not for us, at least, not at this age.  There will be a time when my kids decide if they want to pursue a University degree, and at this time, they will need to take certain exams- at this moment, we can switcch to an intenstive subject study appropriate for the exam, but I don't have any intention of spending 12 years of their life teaching to various standardized tests.

Literature appears to be an ideal vehicle for teaching many subjects, including social studies, histories (world, art, scientific), English, French, etc, etc.  So much more interesting than breaking things up by subject area.  I think a good base for science is created just be being alive, going outside, and not sitting in front of a TV.  Luckily, my children are blessed with a scientific genius at their disposal, so I'll be able to answer most questions as they come.  :-)  Math will just have to tag along for the ride. 

I think a major issue with pre-packaged curriculum is that it very well may be a GREAT curriculum, but it's not tailored to my kids.  Some books I'd want to substitute or not read, or add in.  Any kind of distance-learning program a parent uses to help with grading and planning will also have to deal with a serious loss of flexibility in the material and pacing. 

However, by reading on what is included in pre-packaged curriculums, I've discovered several valuable resources, such as Eliot's learn-to-read book (a subject for another post), as well as how to use books effectively, how to ask good thinking questions, and so on. 

The disadvantage of not following a planned curriculum is... what if something comes up and a child needs to be put into public school?  He may have aquired a much richer body of knowledge than a peer, but it may be completely different than what he is "supposed" to know, and so they may be behind in some subjects, and bored in others.  I suppose this is just the risk taken with homeschooling.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I heard it said by one Mom that a far easier approach to elementary education is to let the kid learn what they want. (Providing encouragement for basic reading, writing and math skills, of course). Then sit the kid down the summer before 5th grade, see if they have any wide "gaps" in what they are supposed to know compared to their public school classmates. Then you can plan a 3 month course in fifth grade to "fill in the gaps."

That approach reassured me.

Of course, in K and 1st grade my kids already "wowed" the public school officials with their knowledge base, so now I'm not even worried about remedial instruction in 5th grade. (And my oldest kid had trouble learning how to read. I told her 1st grade reviewer -she can't read yet and she reverses some numbers in math. The reviewer said "Who cares! Your daughter just told me that a single strand of DNA can wrap around the world 6 times, that she loves hearing long Hiccup books read out loud, and that she thinks Division is fun. She is so ahead of the game!"

Twinkly Clare said...

I agree it is a risk, but not really a large one, particularly if you are helping your child how to learn.

There is something that attracts me about a planned curriculum (maybe I'm just lazy!), but it really would not suit M. I think he would see it too much like 'work' and dig his heels in. (Thats one big reason why school wouldn't suit him)

In fact, if you come across any tips for motivation on your reading travels, I'd love to hear about them.