Overwhelmed with what is available out there, I'm going to attempt to create my own Eclectic Homeschool curriculum, taking the best of each method and trying to create my own system. It is important for me that the final "method" that I use is cohesive and aimed at the goal of encouraging my kids to develop as complete human beings. It should be tailor made for their invidual personalitities, while taking into account what skills they will need to live in this world. So I introduce the Analysis Paralysis series- a closer look at what has already been done, and what I'm going to pull from it for our program.
Montessori
I started with this philosophy simply because I had heard of it before, and there is a Montessori school here in Lausanne where I briefly considered sending Eliot.
Here's what I'm keeping from this method:
- Emphasis on practical skills and independance. Montessori is very focused on kids being able to automously dress, prepare food, eat, clean up, etc. If you look at pictures in some of the Montessori handbooks, you will see 9 month old babies eating independantly in a child's chair (not high chair), and sleeping on regular beds, 18 month olds wielding knives and pouring water into their glasses from a pitcher, and so on. I think we have a tendancy to assume our children are incapable of certain tasks, when in fact, they are amazingly proficient at simple household tasks and chores, as well as personal hygeine.
- Following from the first point, the Montessori slogan seems to be, "Teach me to do it myself." This seems like it should be the goal of any schooling.
- Montessori also stresses structure- regular schedules, neatness and order, and routine. Both my kids do really well when we keep to a loose routine where they know more-or-less what activities are on the list for the day, and most importantnly, when the next snack will be!
- Montessori places great emphasis on encouraging and developing concentration and focusing skills.
Things I'm throwing out:
- Montessori is completely against any symbolic play- no dollhouses, no pretend food or kitchens. Especially no fantasy or imaginative games. She thinks children do not have the capacity to distinguish reality from fantasy, and feel children need a firm grasp in reality before thy can go on to fantasy. I think this is making a mountain out of a molehill.
- Truly embracing everything Montessori is expensive.
- Montessori is classroom based.
Wednesday, September 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment