Ivy will occasionally go into too-limp-to-pick-up-screaming-kicking fits when she doesn't get what she wants. This is always more interesting in public. However, in her credit, these fits are always provoked by me creating a situation which is too much for her. Usually, this means trying to get her to be patient for just one minute when she is within 30 minutes of a regular nap time or meal time. If I can avoid being caught outside without snacks, I can usually avert the crisis, but not always. Somtimes she gets wound up to the point where only nursing and napping will cure her, both of which are very hard to do, for example, on the metro.
And yet, life must go on and we must occasionally venture from our secure apartment. So if you are in the neighborhood and see an Americanish looking blond with a screaming toddler tucked under her arm fleeing... try not to panic. I promise I'm taking her home to nurse her to sleep, not heading to the forest to abandon her amongst the Yeti. At least, not yet.
"Who, me?"


2 comments:
Looking at her picture, it is a rather difficult story to believe! I am with Ivy, "Who, me?" Smooch the kids, love you!
Hi Monica!
Emmy was just like that and it took constant effort to help her to be able to deal with those situations that were too much for her. I would have to be aware of noise levels, strangers, smells, lights, food (or lack of it), etc, because they could all trigger a melt down. I found if I kept my reactions to her and whatever stimuli were were dealing with at a low key level, she eventually would calm and mimic me. She also was, and still is, calmed by touching me when things get to be too much. As long as my mood was calm, she tended to be. She's such an energy-feeder.
It took a few years of patience but Emmy has turned into the sweetest, most kind girl. I think her sensitivity has made her more aware of the world and people around her and she is finally (most of the time) able to handle situations that earlier would have sent her hiding or screaming. It's been so fun to see her develop her sensitivity into a blessing instead of a hinderance.
It was totally worth all of the times I felt like I would chew a hole through my lip while trying to remain calm. Besides, I had no other choice. I went looking for the Yeti but couldn't find any. And the gypsies wanted ME to pay THEM to take her off my hands. :o)
Post a Comment