Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My to-do list ate my *incongrously funny object*!

I've been thinking about the title to this post since last night, when I threw aside my to-do list and decided to do nothing but think about blogging about my to-do list. 

"Should the title read, Ate my firstborn?  baby? sandwich? left arm? keyboard?"  Each possibility gave me a little giggle, and so I just couldn't choose. 

If you are wondering about the definition of procrastination, please reread the above paragraph.  But first, make yourself a cosmo and take a nap.  And then get back to my blog, you know... whenever.

So, a friend of mine on facebook recommended adding an "approximate length of task" to each task on my to-do list, as a way of helping organize myself.  As it turns out, this is more of a way of panicking myself.  Different folks, different strokes, I suppose.

Luckily, of my four to-do lists (To Do Before Trip, To Do(ula), To Do To My Website, and To Do (General)) only the first needs to get done this week. 

Additional lists floating around the house include my grocery list from this weekend which has my meal plan on it, and my packing lists for each family member except Frederic who, as a grown-up, will (hopefully) be packing for himself, my lists of clothes to buy for the kids in CA, kitchen staples to buy in CA, photo ideas for Haf's birthing day...  And let's not forget my shopping list at amazon, to order just as soon as I put a bit of money in my US bank account, to add to my doula studies.  I also have a "To Think About" list, which just goes to show, things are perpetually backed up around here.

And what did I do while the kids quietly self-entertained for an hour this morning? 

I laid on the ground and sketched out the floor plan for a dollhouse I might want to build them while I have access to power tools.  And then I realized I could probably buy one for way less than I could make it.  And then I had a mental argument about the value of homemade versus the fact that it would cost more to make it than to buy it, and who was I to think I was competent as an architect to go around designing houses that open on a hinge and can accommodate dolls and furniture built on  grossly varying scales of miniaturization.  And then I figured Ivy would probably just eat some miniature doll chair and end up in the hospital.  So I decided I'd better just set aside my blueprints and get to work on trip preparation. 

And that's when the kids decided they were done self-entertaining.

Luckily, I have a plan to get this all done.  Mostly, it involves Friday night, from 7:30pm until midnight.   

I put up my to-do(ula) lists on my doula blog, which is linked from www.lausannedoula.com.

Did I mention I'm still in my pajamas? 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why are you both so mean to me? I have lists too! To do before Borel's arrive, to do before twins arrive, grocery list, to do in backyard before Spring arrives, books I have read in book club...a list of lists I should make. I need some coffee! Smooch the kids, love you!

Marc said...

I only have To-Don't lists. That way nobody is disapointed and if I actually "do" one of the things on the To-Don't list, everyone is pleasantly surprised.
--MGM

Twinkly Clare said...

I love lists.
But recently I have tried to cut down my number of lists, or I spend all my time on them and no time actually doing the things on them.

Although I have chucked the 'What to pack when we go away' list which means that I normally pack about 30 minutes before we're due to leave. Seems to work though as I don't get stressed when I can't find 'white tshirt with purple motif' that I have determined that I absolutely have to take with me.

I probably should start a labour bag list though.....