Ivy has always been the type to march to her own drum... and schedule. And in the case of eating solids, well, she just doesn't want to. With the exception of mashed banana, she won't eat more than a pea-sized amount at a sitting, and that usually by accident. For mashed bananas, she'll occasionally work up the enthusiasm for a whole tablespoon or two.Se, even though her pediatrician feels she needs solids as her growth is slowing down a bit (totally normal for breastfed babies, by the way), she just won't have them. And I'm having a hard time with the idea of giving mashed banana multiple times a day or week just for the sake of seeing her swallow.
I did some internet searching yesterday, and based on what I found, I'm going to give up on solids for two weeks. And then we'll try again.
I feel pretty comfortable about her growth. Based on her parentage, she was bound to start slowing down sooner or later anyway, and besides, her fat creases in six or eight places still every time she bends a joint. So she must not be starving! I'd rather wait until she's ready than start a food battle and set up a bad precedent for the future.

4 comments:
LOVE that picture!
FWIW - Angelina was not a big fan of solids for awhile. We offered at 6 months, but she barely touched them til closer to 9 months, then for the next year she ate with a vengeance. Now, it's a different issue, but her pedi wasn't at all worried about her lack of solids, as long as she was still breastfeeding.
Cute picture!
Oh, should also add the specialist was a tad bit concerned not for the calories, but because of the facial muscle development that goes along with eating solids (since muscle development was an issue for her given her birth experience). He suggested just giving things she could chew on (toys) if food wasn't working, so those muscles could work. Not a problem now, since the kid's mouth muscles are probably strong enough to lift a house...
I always say there are three things you can't make children do: eat, poop, stop making noise. You physically cannot make them do it, so why set up a power struggle over it.
Post a Comment