Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Eye Doctor Visit

Today I had a check-up with my ophthalmologist. As most of you know, I was diagnosed at 21 with Stargardt's Disease, a form of early-onset macular degeneration. And what's the news?

No news.

And in my case, this is very, very good news. My eyeglass perscription has not changed since my initial major vision loss in college. I am in the same glasses as I was 5+ years ago, and my retinal thickness (a measure of its ability to do its job) has remained the same since measured a year and a half ago. Also, the central vision part of the macula is essentially gone: 0 thickness detected, but the surrounding tissue is immediately nice and thick and healthy. So I have a clearly defined blind area, but no encroaching fuzziness indicating it's spreading for the time being.

I got a persciption for sunglasses, some special eye drops for airplane trips, and the advice to take ginko biloba and blueberry extract to improve overall circulation, which is good for my retinas. However, I'm not supposed to start the homeopathic stuff until after the pregnancy.

If you can't tell, I'm really excited about all of this.

5 comments:

Sara said...

thats really great news!!!

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely great news!!!! We are so happy for you.
Pa and Deb

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to hear that.

-J

Ali said...

That's excellent news, hooray for you!

Anonymous said...

That's great, Monica! I'm so glad!
Leta