I know Haf, it's supposed to be menu planning Monday, but I plan my menus on Saturdays!!!
Saturday: Fun Planet Pizza
Sunday: Meatloaf and salad
Monday: Chili (from freezer stash) and cornbread
Tuesday: Chickpea and red bean tacos with homemade salsa
Wednesday: Pork mango picadillo with quinoa
Thursday: Potato-leek soup
Friday: Salmon with steamed veggies
I'm supposed to eat more lentils, says my midwife, and try out some buffalo meat. I need a little bit of an iron boost, but am trying to avoid supplementation. I flat out refused the horse meat suggestion, and had to decline liver as well. I've tried it several times, both rabbit and chicken, and just can't do it! Something about the texture.
The horse meat conversation went something like this:
"Horse meat is very healthy and low in choloesterol, as well as high in iron. You should try to include more of that."
"I don't eat horse meat."
"What? Why not?"
"Well, Americans don't really eat horse meat. And I'm afraid it's one of those things that, if you don't eat from an early age, you just can't fathom eating."
"But that's so strange! It tastes really good."
"I'm sure it does, and I'm sure that dog meat tastes really great as well, but I'm not going to eat it just because Vietnamese people do. Horses are firmly in the pet category for me."
Much laughter
My midwife is very much "straight off the farm", which I love. There was much bulging of eyes when I told her I'd voluntarily joined the US Air Force at 17 years old, and other strange facets of my life history. She did, however, highly encourage me to pursue midwifery, and told me that if I could manage to give injections and take blood, all of the rest of the job could be done with my eyes closed (or with no central vision, as the case may be). This was very encouraging, as I think even with compromised central vision, I coudl use many of the low-vision aids available to do a precise task like take blood or stitch someone up if need be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
i ate horse once sort of by accident, it was the plat du jour at the place we used to have lunch at so without thinking i ordered it, and only after eating it did i remember that in the US we think its weird :) It did taste pretty good though, like a tender steak.
Well it's good to know that there is at least one place where tender horse meet is available. I used to eat horse meet several times but eventually stopped because each time it was so hard to chew. It was supposed to be good quality though, bought in butcher's stores which sold only that kind of meet, go figure.
Frederic
How about game animal meat, like venison or squirrel? I just finished reading Desperate Passage, about the Donner Party, and I can tell you some of the stuff they ate is not fit to print where innocent eyes may find it. I’ve eaten more odd things than a lot people, but then so have you, but to my knowledge no horse or dog.
Post a Comment