Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Farmer's Market Friends

I'd been meaning to go to the Lausanne farmer's market for years. Really! I finally got around to it with a nudge from Dena, and went two weeks ago for the first time. I've since been back every week, even today- in the snow!

Today's purchases-
2 liters of raw milk
6 free range eggs
2 small cabbages for coleslaw
2 baskets of strawberries

I bought strawberries from the same guy as last week, because they were excellent. The cabbage was from a stand I hadn't visited before.

For the milk and eggs, I waited until he had no more customers, then had a nice talk with the guy about what his cows eat (dried grass, beets, and some protein in the winter, pasture in the summer, never corn!). His chickens get the same stuff, plus grain. He laughed when I told him about my first experience with a Swiss egg- how the yellow was so orange that I thought there was something wrong with it and almost threw it away. That deep orange color, I've since learned, is from a healthy diet. As I was walking away, he called out to me and handed Eliot and I each a slice of his homemade gruyere cheese. What a great snack! I figure I'll keep visiting him at the market for a bit, then I want to ask if Dena and the boys and I can go visit the farm!

What's so great about pasture fed meat, eggs, and milk? Aside from the ethical, pasture fed products contain much higher quality fats, including big doses of omega-3s, something important for everyone with a brain and nervous system, but especially for pregnant and nursing women, and small children.

One more omega 3 finding: Now that Eliot is no longer nursing, it's harder for me to think of ways to get healthy fats into him. With fish, he is hit-and-miss. I do add ground flax to his cereal, but every teaspoon of flax equals one more poopy diaper for me to deal with throughout the day. :-) So yesterday I made homemade walnut butter, and we both love it! It's got a thicker texture than peanut butter, but I can sort of mold it into little balls that he just pops in his mouth. This is a great snack for him just before his nap.

2 comments:

Cherise said...

I'm jealous! We have some farmers' markets here but they're not very good. I miss Indiana for that!

But be careful with the raw milk. CH had an outbreak of Listeria in the last couple of years with some fatalities - it's mainly a problem for pregnant women, but also can be for small children. I'm all about eating as natural as possible, but even animals fed an all organic diet can be infected with assorted natural organisms that are not always good for us. Raw milk happens to be one that makes me nervous, esp in CH right now.

Anonymous said...

ton histoire "jaune d'oeuf" m'a donné le fou-rire!
angi