Now that Eliot and I have hit the one year mark of successful breastfeeding, it's time to start considering weaning. Many moms continue to breastfeed throughout toddlerhood, and the WHO now recommends a minimum of 2 years breastfeeding. Some people advocate letting baby decide, and some think mom should choose. Again, through no fault or credit of my own, we seem to fall somewhere int he middle.
While in CA, Eliot was back to nursing about 7 times a day (or should I say 2x per day and 5x per night) but very quickly went back to only two feedings once we got back. Last week, we were busy in the afternoon when he usually nurses, and so we skipped it. And we've kept skipping the afternoon feeding, for about 5 days now, meaning he is only nursing first thing in the morning. I'm going with the "don't offer, don't refuse" theory, and he hasn't asked to nurse at all since we started skipping the afternnon session last week.
I know that if I got him out of bed and went straight to the breakfast table in the mornings he would not even notice that he was completely weaned- as it is, he is already quite distracted during the first feeding, but I'm not quite ready yet! Hopefully he'll give me another couple of weeks, and then... he'll be my big boy who doesn't need mama's milk anymore. SIgh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Ah, it's a bittersweet time, isn't it? I go with the theory of weaning 'whenever one of you wants to.' Sounds like you're both ready to wean now, and this seems a really gentle way to do it. Alas, A is nowhere near that point...
Post a Comment