Eliot had his first fever yesterday, and seems to be going that route again today.
When he woke up at 6:30 yesterday morning, I fed him as usual, but noticed he was shivering. I brought him back to our bed and got him under the down comforter, then took his temperature. Sure enough, fever! It continued to rise until he hit 101° (38C), then came back down. He cycled like this about four times throughout the day. When he hit 102°(39C), I gave him infant tylenol, which took care of the fever in 20 minutes and kept it from coming back for the rest of the evening.
Frederic and I took the risk of leaving Eliot with his babysitter, a med school student, and went to the cafe at the base of our building for fondue to celebrate the 12th anniversary of Frederic's 29th birthday. Eliot did just fine, waking up once for a bottle and going right back to bed.
This morning, Eliot is warm again, but is not getting the crazy shakes and shivers he had yesterday. Like yesterday, he is happy and smiley except at the peak of the fever.
Frederic called the pediatrician yesterday, who said not to worry as long as the fever was the only symptom. It could be teething, it could be something they call the "3 day fever" which I'm pretty sure is just a code for "fever that lasts about three days for unknown reasons".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment